Thursday 11 October 2018

PREPOSITIONS- USAGE OF SOME IMPORTANT PREPOSITIONS


USAGE OF SOME IMPORTANT PREPOSITIONS:

The following are the list of prepositions regularly used. Some prepositions may give more than one meaning. Usage of each meaning of the preposition is illustrated with suitable examples:


Sl.
No.
Preposition
Meanings
Examples
1

About
On the subject of:
This is a story about Lord Krishna
Approximately:
She is about eight years old

2
Above
Higher than; over:
The plane flew above the clouds
Earlier on a page:
There is a title above each chapter

3
Across
From one side to the other:
We walked across the field
On the other side of:
There is a store across the street

4
After
Later in time:
He comes after ten o’clock
Later in series:
Ramu comes after me in the attendance register

In pursuit of:
The dog ran after the cat
5
Against
In opposition to:
Theft is against the law
Touching; supported by:
I leaned the ladder against the wall
6.
Along
Following the length of:
They walked along the road
7.
Among
Within a group:
The money was shared among three people
8.
Around
Circling something:
We walked around the temple
Surroundings:
There is a fence around the garden
In different parts of:
We looked around the marked to buy a bat
In the other direction:
The police turned around and went back to the station
Approximately:
He is around seven feet tall
9.
At
A specific location:
I will wait at Koti bus stop
A point time:
She gets up at 5’0 clock
A condition:
Now, I am at peace;
She is at rest

An activity:
I am at work;
They are at office;
She is at play;
10.
Before
Earlier in time:
Come before 7 ‘o clock
Go before Christmas
Earlier in series:
B comes before C in the alphabet
11.
Behind
At the back of:
What is there behind the curtain?
Late:
We are behind in our work
Cause; origin:
Who was behind that idea?
12.
Below
Lower than; under:
Some plants grow below the sea level
Later on a page:
Footnotes are provided below the text
13.
Beneath
Lower than; below:
The boat sank beneath the waves
14.
Beside
Next to;
at the side of:
Sit beside your sister
15.
Besides
In addition to; also; as well as:



I have a flat besides a duplex house
16.
Between
An intermediate location:
Suryapet comes between Hyderabad and Vijayawada
An intermediate time:
Good business is done between Christmas and Pongal
Intermediate in a series:
D comes between C and E in the alphabet
An intermediate amount/ number:
You can expect a salary between eight and ten thousand
Within a group of two:
The money was shared between Ram and Raju
17.
Beyond
Farther than:
The road continues beyond the village up into the hills
Further than, exceeding:
Her performance on the stage is beyond our expectation
18.
But
Except:
I have met all but Prasanth
19.
By
Near:
She bought a house by the sea
Nearness:
My mother sat by me when the doctor was testing
Distance:
My village is further by ten miles  from here
Past:
He walked by me without speaking
The sense of along/ passing through/ across:
We traveled to Rome by Milan and Florence


Not later than:
We have to finish the work by 5’o clock
In units of:
In Hyderabad, mangoes are sold by weight
Through the means of:
I daily travel by local train from Lingampally to Lakdikapool
20
Concerning
Connected with; about:
I read every news item concerning politics
21
Despite
In spite of:
He won the game despite his fever
22
Down
To a lower position:
The boy rolled down the hill


Further along:
We live down the lane
23
During
Throughout a period:
Many call centers run during the night
Sometime within a period:
There will be two intervals during the performance
24
Except
Not including:
I have read all his books except this
25
For
Duration of time:
Test match is played for five days
Distance:
He ran for 2 kilo meters
Purpose:
He brought a toy for my child
In the direction of:
My cousin left for Mumbai
In favour of:
Our boss is for the proposal
Considering:
The little girl is clever for her age
26.
From
Place of origin:
I come from Kakinada
Start of a period of time:
They have holidays from tomorrow
Start of a range:
From 40 to 50 were present for the meeting
Cause:
He suffers from fever
Source:
I heard this news from my friend
27.
In
Place thought of as an idea:
Different languages are spoken in Europe
Within a location:
My friend is waiting in the room
Large units of time:
I completed my P.G. in April, in 1995
Within a certain time:
I will meet you  in  a week
By means of:
Speak only in English.
Please write in pencil
Condition:
She is in a doubt.
I am in a hurry

A member of:
He is in the army
Wearing:
She looks beautiful in red sari

With reference to:
Bihar is rich in minerals
My cousin is poor in communication skills
28.
Inside
Within:
Who is inside the building?
29
Into
To the inside of:
My uncle stepped into his room
Change of condition:
The magician changed the girl into a parrot




30
Like
Resembling:
My friend Mohan looks like actor Chiranjeevi
Appearing possible:
It looks like a dangerous place
Be in a suitable mood for:
I feel like playing in the rain
31
Minus
Less:
Five minus two equals three
32
Near
Close to:
We live near BHEL.
33
Of
Location:
The traffic signal is in the middle of the road
Possession:
He is a friend of my brother
Part of a group:
He is a member of our team
Measurement:
Please give me a glass of water
34
Off
down; away from:
The ball rolled off the table
At some distance from:
There is a big house off the high street
35
On
Being supported by something else:
The dog sat on the table
Condition of use, sale etc:
This building is on sale.
He will be on  a probation for one year.
Motion:
The horse threw the rider on the ground
The object of feeling desire, achievement, etc:
The CEO is bent on dismissing you.
The Chinese team is now ready for its final assault on the Everest
Reference to a topic or affair:
The Principal gave a lecture on Nuclear Physics
A certain day:
Please come on Monday
A certain street:
The shop is on Gandhi street
About:
I bought a book on Astrology
A state or condition:
The workers are on strike
The banks are on a holiday
The shops are on fire
By means of:
The old couple are surviving on a meager pension
36
Onto
To a position on:
The boy climbed onto the table
37
Opposite
Facing:
Her house is opposite the police station
38
Out of
To the outside of:
He went out of home
From among:
They selected three players out of five
Motive:
We spoke to them out of politeness
Material:
The chapattis are made out of wheat
Beyond:
My friend is out of danger
39
Outside
On the outer side of:
There is a dustbin outside the house
Beyond the limits of:
They asked questions outside my experience

40
Over
Above; higher than:
There are cupboards over the sink
Covering:
Put the cloth over T.V.
Across:
I jumped over an anthill
More than:
The suit cost over two thousand rupees.
The journey took over three hours
During:
We met them over the last week’s meeting
By means of:
He talked to me over the mobile
41
Past
Upto and beyond:
I walked past the Church
After (to indicate time):
It is half past three
Beyond:
His narration is past belief
42
Per
For each:
This bike gives 60 KM mileage per litre
43
Plus
With the addition of:
Ten plus five equals fifteen
44
Since
From a specific time in the past:
I had been waiting for her acceptance since 2005
From a past time until now:
She has been singing since morning
45
Through
Across; from end to end:
The National Highway-5 goes through our village
For the whole of a period:
I slept through the night
By means of:
He got the job through reference of his friend
46
Throughout
In every part of:
English is spoken throughout the world
For the whole of a period:
His business runs well throughout the summer


47
Till
Till can be used instead of until.
However, at the beginning of the sentence, until is generally preferred
Please wait till my brother comes
48
To
In the direction of:
All of you, turn to the right!
Destination:
I am going to Vijayawada
Until:
The classes run from Monday to Friday
Compared with:
I prefer Coffee  to tea
With indirect object:
Don’t show it to me
As part of infinitive:
I like to sing on the stage
In order to:
I went to the hospital to help my friend
49
Toward (or towards)
In the direction of:
They walked toward the park
Near; just before (time)
He came here towards evening
50
Under
Beneath:
The children are playing under the trees
Less than:
Children under eighteen years are not allowed for the show
In circumstances of:
The file under process
My bike is under repair
51
Underneath
Below, under:
The water is flowing underneath the carpet
52
Until
Upto a certain time:
I will wait until 7 p.m.
53
Upon
On and Upon have similar meanings. 
Upon may be used in certain expressions, as in once upon a time,  and following certain verbs, as in to rely upon someone.
54
Up
To a higher place:
They went up the stairs


In a higher place:
They camped up the hill
55
Up to
As far as:
I have not faced any problem Up to now;
I have seen the movie up to interval
Depending on:
The decision is up to you whether to marry him or not.
As good as; ready for:
His performance is up to  my expectations
56
Versus
Against (sports, legal):
The next match is Kolkata riders versus Deccan chargers
57
Via
By way of:
We went to Australia via Singapore
58
With
Accompanying:
My friend came with his wife
I have my bag with me
Having; containing:
Here is a house with all modern facilities
By means of: using:
I tightened the screw with a spoon
Manner:
We welcome you with pleasure
He dances with ease
She attempted the exam with difficulty
Because of:
We were frozen with fear
59
Within
Inside of:
I will come back within one hour;
The distance will be within two kilometer
60
Without
Not having:
No entry without invitation;
Don’t talk without preparation

--------------- 
NOOJILLA SRINIVAS

Lecturer in English
Govt. Degree College,
Alamuru,
Andhra pradesh - India
M: 7981862200

No comments:

Post a Comment

One word substitutes from "The Night train at Deoli" by Ruskin Bond

 *The Night Train at Deoli* ------------------------------ 1. **Narrator**: The person who tells the story or narrates the events.    - *Exa...