Monday 8 October 2018

The Best Investment I ever made - Short Story - by A.J. Cronin - Notes - SUMMARY

The Best Investment I ever made
                                                                                                         -- A.J. Cronin

“The Best Investment I ever made” is a story written by A.J. Cronin. This story narrates a touching episode from the author’s early life as a doctor in London.

The doctor (author) once happened to attend a misguided youth who attempted suicide.  With much effort, the doctor succeeded in bringing the youth back to life. The youth narrated his unfortunate story to the doctor. After the death of both his parents, he got employed in a Solicitor’s office.  Due to bad company, he lost all his money in horse bettings.  He stole some money from his office safe and lost that too. Fearing of punishment, he attempted suicide by turning on the gas. After hearing the sad story, the doctor gave the young man Seven pounds, ten shillings, to put back in the office safe and start a fresh life.

         Interestingly, after 25 years of gap, the doctor met the youth Mr. John.S, a happily married man, along with his wife.  The couple had been actively involved in the rescue and rehabilitation of child offenders.  The doctor felt that the small amount he had given to the unfortunate youth turned out to be the best investment he had ever made in his life.  Though it did not yield him any monetary dividends, it gave him immense satisfaction.
------------------------------- 
Noojilla Srinivas
Lecturer in English
Govt. Degree College - Alamuru
M: 7981862200
email: noojillasrinivas@gmail.com

54 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Pani ninte appan ..da mwone nee pullikarande answersum vayichu teacherine paranju keppichattu nee poda panni enn comment cheythekunno? POYI CHAVADA THENDI ��

      Delete
  2. Dear Shrinivas sir,
    Good morning.
    I am Mr. Venkatesh Konda from Bhiwandi near Mumbai.
    Thank you forthe title The best investment I ever mad . This is the chapter I have studied in my 12 th std in Bhiwandi in 1990.
    The chapter has taught me a good lesson to me in those days.
    I have greatly inspired by this lesson and since then I am searching for that lesson. But I have my 12 th text book of English.
    I express my vote of thanks to you that I came to read again that lesson.
    Professionally I am working as a govt teacher here in Bhiwandi since last 25 years.
    I further request you to mail me this true lesson as it is if possible.
    I feel tremendous happy today after finding your blog.
    My email is....
    venkateshkonda70@gmail.com
    Thank you so much sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi venkatesh
      I just can't believe you had this in your +2 syllabus in 1990. I had this in my +2 in 2007. Such a beautiful story. The story starts in a cruise. The author feel like he has been followed by someone. God I love this one. Happy to know that I m not only one who is crazy about this one!!!

      Delete
    2. And my id is krishnakumar0205@gmail.com

      Delete
    3. This story is here in 2020 10th syllabase i didnt understand this story bery well so turned up my phone to search its summary

      Delete
    4. i have this story in my 10 standard keralastate textbook in 2020

      Delete
  3. All of AJ Cronon works are gems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Idont forgot this help thanku

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hai,
    I am Vipin from kerala. This content is simple and very useful for the students as well as teachers. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is very useful for us, thank you sir

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou very much. Tomorrow my english exam. This brief summary help me to understand this story. God bless you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. VERY USEFULL TO 10TH LEVEL STUDENTS

    ReplyDelete
  9. THIS WAS AN BIG USEFULL TO US
    REPORTING FROM NEWS4SPORTS (NEWS DESK)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wavoo news4sports
      comented ....

      Delete
    2. vavoo ikka plz replay

      news4sports commented

      Delete
    3. vavoo adipowli

      news4sports commented
      powli

      Delete
  10. hlo ikka ente msg inu replay taro?
    vavooo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you very much very useful ..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much.. This is very helpful and very very sorted lesson and obviously easy to understand... Hope every explanation of any answer comes to me this way only.

    ReplyDelete
  13. π•Ύπ–šπ–•π–Šπ–— πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aliyan mareee

    ReplyDelete

One word substitutes from "The Night train at Deoli" by Ruskin Bond

 *The Night Train at Deoli* ------------------------------ 1. **Narrator**: The person who tells the story or narrates the events.    - *Exa...